Formal Complaints

If you are not able to reach an agreement with the company through PUCO's informal complaint process, you have the right to file a formal complaint. You may obtain a formal complaint form from the call center representative, by writing to PUCO or by accessing PUCO's web page.

If you are a residential customer, you may represent yourself in the formal complaint proceeding or hire an attorney to represent you. The Ohio Consumers' Counsel (OCC) represents residential utility customers in matters before PUCO. OCC can be contacted toll-free at 1-877-742-5622 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays, or visit

In most instances, business customers must be represented by an attorney.

After you file a formal complaint form, PUCO determines if reasonable grounds exist for proceeding with your complaint and will notify you as to its determination. If reasonable grounds are found to exist, you will be notified by mail of a date and time for a hearing to take place at the PUCO offices in Columbus. PUCO may set a prehearing conference with both the company and you (and your attorney if you have one) for one last attempt to resolve the matter before the scheduled hearing begins. However, if the case remains unresolved, once the hearing begins, you will have the responsibility to prove the merits of the complaint. After the hearing is over, PUCO will then review all the evidence presented at the hearing and make a decision on the case.